NEW Master Composter Program
If you enjoy working with people, digging in the dirt and talking “trash”, we want you to become a volunteer Master Composter with the Athens-Clarke County Master Composting Program! Become a home composting expert and teach your family, friends, neighbors, and fellow community members, “How to Compost”.
Master Composters are an elite group of volunteers who have undergone an extensive training class in all aspects of the composting process, and then use that information to teach others how to turn their organic material into a beneficial soil amendment.
Master Composter Program Information Expectations:
- Complete the training course and field trips – (8 classes and 2 field trips)
- Complete class project
- Volunteer a minimum of 40 hours back to the program
Typical Volunteer Duties:
- Teaching or assisting staff with compost workshops.
- Staffing composting information booths at various public education and outreach events.
- Giving lectures on composting to various civic, community, and garden groups.
- Giving hands-on presentations or assisting staff with school compost programs
DATES: Tuesday evenings, January 10th – February 28th, 2012 including two field trips on Saturdays (February 11th and 18th) to exemplary commercial, farm, and residential composting facilities.
TIMES: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
LOCATION: ACC Solid Waste Department Administration Building Training Room, 725 Hancock Industrial Way, Athens 30605
TO REGISTER: Contact ACC Cooperative Extension at (706) 613-3640
~ Special thanks to my dad for this awesome Christmas gift,
even if you do think it’s weird to love compost! ~