Owl Moon Farm builds community through agriculture by growing food and fiber
in harmony with the natural environment, offering farm-based educational opportunities for youth and adults, and using our farm as an entertainment
and cultural destination for our region.
It is our goal to develop an economically sustainable farmstead that fosters the farm-food-family connection through a homesteading school for kids and adults.
After many years of searching, we finally located our current property in Lexington, Virginia in 2014. It was a working from its construction, but from the 1950’s till we found it, it was a well-maintained country home. The pasture was cut for hay for many years so it does need a bit of restoration. Read about our sheep!
Our Homestead Philosophy:
- We go beyond sustainability to improving the land we steward through holistic management.
- All food is produced using Biodynamic and/or Organic methods.
- All animals are raised naturally and slaughtered humanely.
- We prefer heirloom fruit and vegetable varieties and heritage livestock breeds.
Our Education Philosophy:
- Parents are a child’s best teacher.
- The whole world is our “classroom.”
- Students learn best through immersion – gardening, math, history, art, music…