Owl Moon Farm builds community through agriculture by growing food and fiber in harmony with the natural environment, offering farm-based educational opportunities for youth and adults, and using our farm as an entertainment and cultural destination for our region.
It is our goal to develop an economically sustainable farmstead that fosters the farm-food-family connection through a wide range of activities from weddings and farm dinners, to homesteading school, a holiday artist market, live music events and seasonal family activities.
After two years of searching, we have located a property in Lexington, Virginia. It was a working farm 50 years ago, but since then it’s been a well-maintained rural home. It has acres of pasture under a hay contract, and almost zero fences. Right now we are formulating our To-Do List and our budget, in preparation for moving in this summer.
Our Farming Philosophy:
- We will go beyond sustainability to improving the land we steward through holistic management.
- All food will be produced using Biodynamic and/or Organic methods.
- All animals will be raised naturally and slaughtered humanely.
- We prefer heirloom fruit and vegetable varieties and heritage livestock breeds.
Our Education Philosophy:
- The whole world is our “classroom.”
- Students learn best through immersion – art, music, gardening, math, history…
- Educators must follow the passion of the student, and trust that so-called “core requirements” will be met, explored, and mastered through experiential learning.
Our Entertainment Philosophy:
- Homegrown music played in an intimate, outdoor environment.
- Farm-fresh local food served in down-home style with a touch of Southern charm.
- Comfortable, classic accommodations for every budget.